Some Example Competency Questions
- Tell me about a time when you varied your communication style to suit your audience
- Describe a situation in which you encouraged others to share ideas or views
- Give me an example of when you were required to explain something difficult or complex to a customer or work colleague
- Describe a time when you needed to deal with a difficult or angry customer
- Describe a time when you were faced with objections from a customer or colleague
- When was the last time you needed to negotiate for something?
- Tell me about a time when you delivered excellent customer service
- Describe a time when you had to deal with a customer complaint
- Tell me about a time when a customer put unreasonable demands
- Tell me about a time when you have re-organised your team to focus on service excellence
- Tell me about a time when you developed a vision or strategy and communicated this to a team.
- Describe a time when you had to drive a team through change
- Describe a situation where you faced resistance from your team to the direction you were taking
- Tell me about a time when you had to deal quickly and appropriately with poor performance
- Describe a time when you had to work with another leader to ensure resources were optimised across different parts of the business
Development of Self and Others
- Talk me through your current development plan
- Walk me through one of your team member's development plans
- Describe your coaching style and give a recent example of how you used coaching to positive effect
- Share with me a time when you shared your knowledge with someone less experienced than you
- Describe how you measure your teams' performance
- Describe a situation when you had an under-performing employee
Planning and Organising:
- Have you ever had to readjust a timetable due to unforeseen circumstances?
- What were your work objectives last year? Were they achieved?
- Can you give an example of how your department arrives at operational plans to adjust to new situations?
- How did you plan your time at work over the past week?